- Complex commercial litigation
- Product liability claims
- Biomedical litigation
- Construction defect litigation
Steve Johnston has over a decade of high-stakes litigation and trial experience. He has focused his practice primarily in the areas of medical malpractice, legal malpractice, personal injury, products liability, mass tort, and insurance litigation. He also represents businesses and business owners in commercial litigation and in resolving shareholder disputes. He has extensive experience in preparing case strategy, leading discovery, and deposing expert witnesses in complex medical litigation.
Steve’s approach to litigation is grounded in tireless work, obtaining a deep understanding of the issues involved in a case, thorough preparation, and a commitment to excellence. In every case, he seeks economical, efficient, and professional resolution through informal settlement discussions and various methods of alternative dispute resolution, including mediations and settlement conferences. But he is also convinced that sometimes the only way to obtain justice is to pursue a case through trial and the appellate courts, if necessary and desired by the client. Steve also believes in the power of technology in obtaining an edge in litigation and trial practice. He is constantly searching for and implementing new and innovative ways to advocate for his clients with the use of cutting-edge technology and systems.
Litigation Success: Some of Steve’s recent successful case resolutions include:
- Successful completion of two jury trials involving complex personal injury claims;
- Obtaining six-figure settlements for clients in personal injury cases;
- Developing case strategy and deposing key expert witnesses as part of trial teams that obtained defense verdicts in complex medical litigation;
- Representing minority shareholders in closely-held businesses who were the victims of shareholder oppression by controlling shareholders, directors, and officers;
- Obtaining defense verdicts in premise liability claims for governmental entities and small businesses.
Hobbies: Steve has served his community in a variety of areas, including serving as an Assistant Scout Master and Sunday School teacher. He spent two years on a volunteer mission to Venezuela. He enjoys spending time with his wife and three boys hiking and biking in the Colorado mountains.
- Juris Doctor, 2003, Brigham Young UIniversity – J. Reuben Clark School of Law
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management and Finance, 1998, Brigham Young University
- All Colorado state and federal courts
- United States Court of Appeal for the Tenth Circuit
Memberships & Professional Affiliations:
- Colorado Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Selected as Rising Star for Civil Defense Litigation