Where We Practice Law
We have substantial experience in most of the western United States.
Ours is a truly national practice. Most of our trial experience has been in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Texas and California, though we have handled sophisticated legal matters in a variety of other states with some regularity. We presently have cases pending in most of those states.
We are often appointed to serve as national counsel by our clients. In that role, we oversee and control multi-state litigation and national class actions, including mass tort cases and product liability litigation involving consumer products, medical devices, steel buildings and securities.
We have handled many matters involving issues of international law, and overseen complex litigation matters pending in foreign countries (outside of the United States), working in the following countries:
Just a few examples of our international litigation experience include:
- We were the first lawyers in the world to enforce a United States subpoena on South African soil, compelling representatives of the South African news media to testify by video in United States litigation.
- We obtained a terrific result for a client in a helicopter crash that happened in Antarctica during a flight to establish an observation headquarters for joint use by the National Science Foundation and the Discovery Channel.
- We’ve overseen complex financial discovery disputes in China and we have successfully litigated software licensing rights in several pacific rim countries, obtaining a excellent results for the founder of one of the most famous software companies in the world.
- We successfully handled a case involving a massive explosion in Mexico and helped in the redesign of high-speed paper folding machinery in Canada (after winning a case on their behalf).
- We’ve analyzed coverage issues arising from massive mine catastrophies in Mexico.
- We designed product labeling and warnings for a Canadian manufacturer of high-speed paper handling machinery.
We often work with local counsel in legal matters that are pending in jurisdictions in which we are not licensed. The network of relationships we have formed with our local counsel during our years of working throughout the United States and other parts of the world, and our expertise in working with and through local counsel in foreign jurisdictions, gives us virtually unlimited reach. Operating a multi-state, internationally capable litigation practice takes a special kind of experience. to form a knowledge base that only years of working in this manner can provide. Very few firms of our size wield the capability of Godfrey | Johnson, P.C. in handling national and international litigation.
We also serve as local counsel assisting other national firms requiring assistance and a local presence in cases filed in Colorado and Wyoming. When we serve as local counsel, we provide as much or as little guidance, assistance and involvement is needed, and we are particularly adept at tailoring our services to the needs of out-of-state firms.