Before becoming a lawyer, Kirk McGill had almost a decade of experience in complex business, tax, and government contracting disputes ranging from small-business operations to major defense contractors. His service as an agent for the State of Colorado and later the United States Department of Defense prior to attending law school gives him unique insight into disputes involving a state or the Federal Government, and his extensive educational background in business, finance, accounting, and economics allows him to ‘speak the same language’ as sophisticated business clients. Though a new attorney, Mr. McGill practically grew up in his father Ben K. McGill’s law practice in Tulsa, Oklahoma (and later in Durango, Colorado). Under the tutelage of his father—a universally respected litigator—Mr. McGill began exploring the law from the moment he learned how to read as a child. His wide-ranging expertise in a broad swath of legal and professional areas, his insatiable drive to assimilate knowledge, and his tireless work-ethic allows him to step into virtually any case or controversy and contribute materially the moment he walks in the door. The Firm looks forward to leveraging his already formidable skill-set with his ever-increasing legal knowledge, skills, and experience on behalf of our clients.
Court experience: Mr. McGill recently prevailed on summary judgment in U.S. District Court for Wyoming in the defense of the Jackson Hole Airport against a civil rights claim arising out of an allegedly unlawful search. He argued a Tenth Circuit petition for review to a successful conclusion. He is particularly well-versed in complex issues of constitutional law, is a superb writer and oral advocate, and currently serves as the Firm’s appellate specialist.
Business law background: Mr. McGill is a Colorado Certified Public Accountant and holds a number of advanced degrees and professional business & accounting certifications. He has extensive experience with complex regulatory disputes at the state and Federal levels, including almost a decade of experience inside the government. He is currently pursuing his doctorate in business.
Public speaking: Mr. McGill is a frequent speaker education, professional, and other events. He participated in competitive forensic communication (speech and debate) throughout high school and college—winning a national championship as a speaker and captaining the United States international British Parliamentary-style debate team at Regis University for two years and continues to participate in the sport as a judge.
Expert testimony: Mr. McGill has testified as an expert witness on complex Federal civil and criminal contracting issues—including the False Claims Act—and has twice given testimony before Congress, receiving the thanks of Congress in 2016 (H. Rept. 114-619) for exposing corruption at the National Science Foundation.
Community Service: Mr. McGill serves as the Chairman of the Committee on Disciplinary Matters for the Colorado Soccer Association’s Colorado Referee Administration, as the Treasurer of the Colorado Adult Soccer Association, and as a senior volunteer and former director with the Denver Urban Debate League—for which he won the Volunteer of the Year Award in 2009.
Hobbies: Kirk loves reading and writing (fiction and non-fiction); sketching, photography, and graphic design; skiing, mountaineering, snowshoeing, rafting, and backpacking; martial arts, pistol, rifle, and shotgun training; and historical wargaming. He is also an avid historian and sometimes philosopher—the latter of which often yields to spirited debates with his wife of over a decade Breanna, a clinical neurobiologist on the faculty of the University of Colorado School of Medicine—with whom he enjoys spending his every spare moment
- Doctor of Business Administration, In Progress, Liberty University
- Juris Doctor, 2018, University of Denver—Sturm College of Law
- Master of Science in Accounting (specializations in Auditing, Forensic Accounting, and Taxation), 2014, University of Colorado—Denver
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting (minor in English Literature), 2009, Regis University
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (emphasis in Finance), 2009, Regis University
State and federal court:
- U.S. District Court for Colorado
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Memberships, Licenses & Certifications:
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Montana Bar Association
- Utah Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Colorado Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Denver, Colorado Chapter of the ISACA
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Denver-Centennial, Colorado Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
Articles & Publications:
- McGill, J.K. & B. McGill (B. Symmes, Editor): Lucia v. SEC: Justice Breyer Warns of a Dramatic Expansion of the President’s Control Over the Federal Civil Service, 96 Den. L. Rev. Online 91 (2018).
- McGill, J.K., Z. McGill, & B. McGill (R. J. Margesson, D. Palmer, and T. Bowie, Editors): The Right to Be Left Alone—The Evolution of the Right of Privacy in American Jurisprudence (Regis University, 2009).
- Symmes, B. (J.K. McGill, Editor): Post-Transcriptional Shaping of Neurons: The Role of miRNAs and FMRP-Interacting P-Body Components in Regulating Neuronal Structure. (University of Denver, 2014).