- Product liability
- Air crash litigation
- Explosions & fires
- Intellectual property litigation
Karen Porter is experienced in a wide range of high-stakes, high technology plaintiff and defense work, including litigation and trial practice related to complex product liability, personal injury with sophisticated medical causation, medical malpractice, aviation & aerospace (including air crash disasters), fires & explosions, energy technologies including liquid natural gas processing, chemical exposure and related product liability, patent infringement, commercial property disputes, attorney malpractice, RICO, and class actions. Karen also has extensive experience litigating on behalf of individuals wronged by a public entity and overcoming claims of sovereign immunity. In connection with or in some cases to prevent litigation, Karen represents and counsels corporate and individual clients in general business matters including contract disputes, subpoena compliance, and employment matters. Karen recently was part of a trial team that won a defense verdict in an aviation crash involving 5 fatalities and prevailed on two original writ petitions to the Colorado Supreme Court to prevent that verdict from being judicially overturned.
Ms. Porter has extensive trial experience, and has argued a number of complex dispositive motions in state and federal court.
Recent trial experience:
- Served on a trial team that won a defense jury verdict in U.S. District Court, in a multi-million dollar patent infringement case involving technology that employs particle physics to measure chemical properties of water in aquaculture and outdoor water quality monitoring.
- Served on a trial team that obtained a voluntary settlement payment for her client in the amount of $4.5 million during trial in U.S. District Court.
- Served on a trial team that won a $3M jury verdict in a case involving a building collapse, and therein argued a successful mid-trial motion that prevented a mid-trial judgment as a matter of law.
- Served on trial team that won a defense jury verdict in a complex air crash case in Colorado, involving 5 fatalities and a myriad of complex legal issues and a large number of exhibits. She was responsible for all aspects of exhibit management, briefing and jury instruction issues, as well as tracking all appellate issues and the development of the defense theme at trial. She also managed all witness preparation prior to trial.
Other recent experience: Ms. Porter recently prevailed in a complex summary judgment motion before the Clark County, Eighth Judicial District Court of Nevada, on behalf of a large financial institution, putting to rest a legal matter that had been pending with little purpose for over four years.
- Juris Doctor, 2013, J. Reuben Clark School of Law (Brigham Young University)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, 2010, Brigham Young University
State and federal courts:
Memberships & Professional Affiliations:
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Central Utah Bar Association
- Utah Young Lawyers Division
- Women Lawyers of Utah
- Nevada Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
In her spare time, Ms. Porter loves to travel, not only for pleasure but to gain a greater appreciation of languages and cultures. She spent several months serving at an orphanage in central Mexico and another several months engaged in a will-writing project in conjunction with an aids clinic in Uganda, Africa. Most recently, during a brief sabbatical from her legal practice, Ms. Porter, her husband and their children traveled through thirteen countries, including several in Europe, southeast Asia and central America.