- Large-scale construction defect litigation
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Product liability
Aaron Bakken’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, specifically on issues related to construction defect, insurance defense, contracts, real estate, bad faith and personal injury. He has extensive experience representing owners, developers, design professionals and contractors with regard to complex construction litigation, including construction defect and mechanic’s lien claims. Mr. Bakken also focuses on defending automobile accident-related claims, most of which include claims of traumatic brain injury. He has significant experience before federal and state courts, the American Arbitration Association, the Judicial Arbiter Group, and other alternative dispute resolution forums.
Mr. Bakken’s practice also consists of transactional work including commercial lease review, real estate contract and title policy review, real estate financing, ad valorem taxation and lien negotiation. He also has significant experience assisting clients will the acquisition and sale of business entities, including drafting asset purchase agreements and all other related transfer documents.
Mr. Bakken’s legal experience includes:
- Successfully defended developer and general contractor in multi-million dollar litigation against construction defect claims brought by members of a homeowners association in Aurora, Colorado
- Defended plumbing subcontractor against construction defect claims brought by a homeowners association wherein plaintiff sought in excess of $1 million in damages. Plumbing subcontractor settled the matter for $15,000
- Successfully pursued, and was awarded, a $2.2 million judgment against a Vail, Colorado developer for construction defects to a Breckenridge, Colorado ranch property
- Achieved a $500,000 judgment against an international insurer for insurance bad faith related to a property damage claim
- Defended a Chicago general contractor at trial for claims brought by a homeowner’s association alleging construction delay and breach of contract
- Assisted several Illinois contractors at trial in the mechanic’s lien foreclosure actions
Much of Mr. Bakken’s practice has been focused on defending construction defect and automobile accident-related claims.
- Prior to that he worked for a Chicago firm focusing on mechanic’s lien foreclosure actions.
- Juris Doctor, 2005, University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Economics, Saint Cloud State University, 2001
- State and federal courts in Colorado and Illinois
- United States District Court – Eastern Michigan District
Memberships & Professional Affiliations:
American, Colorado, and Arapaho Bar Associations
Articles & Publications:
- Commercial Transportation Litigation Journal – American Bar Association; Damages Compendium for Wyoming; October, 2014
In his spare time, Mr. Bakken enjoys exploring the recreational opportunities the Colorado landscape provides with his family and friends. In addition, he volunteers his time as Vice-President resident of his Stapleton Homeowner’s Association.